Follow me and my family as we continue to eat healthy, but transition from using conventional foods to organic, wholesome, unprocessed foods, all while on a budget!































































Thursday, July 29, 2010

Slowly, but Surely

Ok, so I'm kind of on a blogging binge today. The reason is I go back to work next week (aaagghh), so I want to get as much out while I have some time on my hands! After next week, my goal is to blog a new post (does that make sense? I'm new to all this blog lingo...) once a week. So- enjoy the overload of thoughts for now!

What I want people to take most from this blog is bits and pieces of advice that can be applied to their life and hopefully make a change for the better. I'm not expecting (or suggesting) that anyone go crazy and throw out all their food and start buying 100% organic. But I would like for readers to learn new things and maybe make a few changes about how they eat. Then, slowly, but surely, you will come to appreciate organics and make better choices.

I've come up with a list of easy ways to start making gradual changes towards chemical-free eating:

1. When shopping for produce, refer to the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 shopping lists. The Dirty Dozen lists produce that should always be purchased organic, they are the most contaminated. The Clean 15 is just the opposite! It lists the 15 least contaminated fruits and vegetables.

2. Start reading labels! I can't say this enough! Get to know what is in the food you are eating. YOU make the decision if what is in the product is healthy for you.

3. Shop local farmer's markets. The food may not be certified organic, but ask if it is chemical free. You'll find local produce and a great price. The Baton Rouge area has Red Stick Farmer's Market every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in various locations.

4. Grow your own herbs. I was not blessed with a green thumb, but this is one thing I can handle! Not only will your herbs be chemical-free, but you will save money as well! The average price for a small package of organic herbs is $3.99.

5. Start buying organic milk and eggs. This is an easy one to switch to because just about every grocery now carries organic milk and eggs, so there is no searching on your part. Next time you reach for that fat-free skim milk, grab the organic variety instead!

1 comment:

  1. Good advice... I really think the organic eggs taste better than the others.

    ReplyDelete