Follow me and my family as we continue to eat healthy, but transition from using conventional foods to organic, wholesome, unprocessed foods, all while on a budget!































































Thursday, July 29, 2010

Just So You Know...

Just so you know, I'm not trying to preach about how awful the food industry is or how great organics are- BUT- I do want to share a few random things that I have learned so that others might have the same "aha" moment I did.

1. The majority of soybeans, corn, and cotton grown in the U.S. are from GMO seeds (Genetically Modified Organisms). They were made to resist being killed from applications of Roundup (weed killer). **Read a few labels in your kitchen- you may be shocked to find that soy is in a lot of foods- and if it isn't organic, chances are it is from a GMO**

2. Arsenic is used in chicken feed.

3. People who eat organic foods reduce their pesticide intake by as much as 90%.

(The information is from Organic Manifesto, which I highly recommend reading!!!!)

While we are on the subject of what is in our food, please take some time in your kitchen and really read what is in your food. I have always been a label-reader, but in the past it was the Nutrition Facts. Now I look at the ingredient list as well! It is shocking to find what is really in your food. One of the most surprising for me was bread crumbs- as I went to toss them out, I thought- "well, it's just finely ground bread- can't be that bad, right?" WRONG! I think it had 20 ingredients in it, most of which I couldn't pronounce!

TIP: Make your own bread crumbs! It's a perfect way to use any leftover or stale bread. (Saves money too.) Just toss bread pieces in the food processor and your done! You can always freeze the bread crumbs in an airtight container if you have extra.

So, what exactly does organic mean? The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) puts it this way: "Organic crops are raised without using most conventional pesticides, petroleum-based fertilizers, or sewage sludge-based fertilizers. Animals raised on an organic operation must be fed organic feed and given access to the outdoors. They are given no antibiotics or growth hormones."

When shopping, be sure to look for the USDA Organic seal- otherwise the product is not what it claims to be. Also, beware of products labeled "natural"- this term has no real meaning. If you do see something labeled as natural, be a smart consumer and read the label! Then decide for yourself if it is actually a healthy product.

No comments:

Post a Comment