Follow me and my family as we continue to eat healthy, but transition from using conventional foods to organic, wholesome, unprocessed foods, all while on a budget!































































Saturday, August 14, 2010

Syrup vs. Maple Syrup

I started back at work the week before last and forgot how busy the days get! I really want to keep up with the blog though, so I am trying for once a week. As we continue to purchase organic foods, I decided that I would like to start giving advice on easy changes that you can make towards eating organic. I know that it is a lot to take on, so my advice is to start making small changes and gradually they will add up. I suggested in an earlier post to start buying organic milk and eggs- I think this is an easy switch and a very important one! The food that I want to review today is SYRUP. Syrup is not something that we use very often around my house, but every now and then we have those sweet Saturday mornings where we get to be lazy and do things like make home-made pancakes. A few months ago, we did just that and my husband went to the store and came home with organic maple syrup. Now I have to be honest here- I had never had maple syrup before this, and for some reason I thought it was not going to taste good- I really don't know why I thought this! Maybe it was because I had always used the typical reduced-sugar syrups before and just thought that was the only way to go? ( I also thought maple syrup was something that only people from up North ate!) Anyway- the point is, the syrup tasted great! And then I got to reading labels...and of course I was shocked by the "regular" syrup's label... again, I couldn't pronounce the ingredients and really was just dumb-founded...if I didn't recognize what the ingredients were in the syrup, then what the heck are we actually eating?!?


I took pictures of the label from the "regular" syrup and the organic maple syrup. I think the difference in the ingredient lists is pretty awesome.





"Regular" Syrup Ingredients: Corn syrup, High fructose corn syrup, water, contains less than 2% of natural and artificial flavors, cellulose gum, salt, caramel color, sodium benzoate and sorbic acid (preservatives), and sodium hexametaphosphate.

All I can think is, "huh?" What is this crap we are putting in our bodies?!!! (And if you read one of my first posts, you'll remember that 80% of corn grown in the U.S. is from GMO's. Notice the first two ingredients in the regular syrup come from corn. )


Organic Maple Syrup Ingredients: Pure Maple Syrup.

Wow...who knew it could be so simple!

Besides not having any preservatives and being chemical-free, organic maple syrup even has some health benefits! Two teaspoons of maple syrup provides 22% of the daily value of manganese and 3.7% of the daily value of zinc.

Organic maple syrup is more expensive than conventional syrup, but I think that the taste is stronger, so a little bit goes and long way and should last some time. (I found a 12 oz. jar at Target for $6.99.) And while we are on the subject of syrup, I would like to suggest a great pancake mix for all of us busy people who enjoy making pancakes, but don't always have the time to make them from scratch! Whole Foods brand makes a delicious organic, 100% whole wheat pancake and waffle mix. All you need to add to it is organic milk!

So, next time that you are purchasing syrup, remember to choose the Simply Organic version, and buy the organic maple syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment